The Culpeper Church of Christ began in the mind of a former member and
minister, Harvey Kilpatrick, when he moved to this area in the early 1960s.
The congregation first met in a building on North Main Street next to where
McCarthy Tire presently operates. Later, the congregation purchased a site on
East Davis Street in Culpeper, which was later sold when the building process
On August 27, 1968, the congregation purchased 1.78 acres at the current
location, 1600 North Main Street. The land was an agreement between the seller
and the trustees at that time, James H. Kilpatrick, Andrew M. Calvert and Marvin
On January 3, 1971, brother Wesley Beahm volunteered to place a sign on the
property stating a building would be erected soon. The groundbreaking for the
new building was February 13, 1971. The building was constructed by Grover
Sisk. The current building was completed in 1972.
On January 30, 2019, the church purchased 6 acres about a mile from our current
location with plans to build a new church building. Those plans are working their
way through the proper channels with the hope of a new building by the end of
Throughout many of the church’s years, the congregation has been blessed with
elders. There was, however, a period without elders. After much prayer and
study, elders were appointed in December 2022. Our current elders are Brian
Funk, Dean Stone, Terry Zinn and David Calvert.
The Culpeper Church of Christ has had full-time ministers through the years to
include Harvey Kilpatrick, Delbert Mick, Michael Stone, Don Pettit, Bill Holt, Oscar
McCoy, Bill Dilks and our current minister, Mike Morgan, who has been with us